- Remove the 'points' on the Kiwano for easier handling with a knife or your fingernail
- Slice the Kiwano lengthwise...marvel at the beautiful gelatin green color and seeds
- Using a large spoon, scrape the insides of the Kiwano above a wire mesh colander resting over a bowl (to collect the juice). It will be a little challenging but not bad.
- Save the empty Kiwano shell to be used as a distinctive serving bowl- Using the back of a large spoon, press against the Kiwano pulp in the wire mesh colander so that the juice collects in the bowl. This is time consuming because the pulp doesn't want to separate from the seeds. You won't be able to extract all the pulp in the colander.
- In blender, combine frozen bananas, pineapple and the Kiwano juice (1 is fine, 2 is good too)
- Blend until smooth
- Spoon into empty Kiwano shells
- Add lime zest to top and serve right away.
Note to vegan chefThe 'horns' on Kiwano are pointy...enough to break the skin if you're not careful. They can easily be knocked off with a fingernail or knife. (The cashier at Whole Foods appreciated that I removed the points before she had to handle them.)
Kiwano juice has a mild 'sweet cucumber taste' so you can use the juice from one or two Kiwanos. Both ways are good.
Be patient when trying to remove the Kiwano pulp with a spoon. It can take 10+ minutes and you won't get all of it. Spend about 12-15 minutes on it and be happy with that.
For a little more zest and visual appeal, add the zest of lime on top. (not seen in photos)
Don't refrigerate or freeze: the shell will not hold up, it will wilt. The sorbet can freeze fine but I like making it fresh for guests.
You will have more filling than what fits in two Kiwano halves.
Fun factsKiwanos originated in desert conditions in Australia. It's also grown in Israel, New Zealand, South Africa, Portugal and parts of California. It's also known as the English Tomato, the Hedged Gourd and the Melano.
Reference: The Mighty Kiwano, Health Benefits of Horned Melons, What are the health benefits of bananas?
Inspired by FatFree Vegan Kitchen