Produce1/2 cup Bell peppers
1 Cauliflower broken into florets, medium sized2 cloves Garlic1/4 tsp Ginger, ground2 tbsp Green onion1 tbsp Orange zest
- 3/4 cup Vegetable broth
- 2 tsp Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
Baking & Spices
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
1/4 tsp Black pepper1/2 cup Corn starch1 tsp Salt1/2 tsp Sesame seeds2 tbsp Maple Syrup
Oils & Vinegars
- 1 TSPB Oil
Drinks1/2 cup Orange juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 cup Water
PreparationIn a first pan
- In frying pan, heat half tbsp. oil and add the diced peppers. Sauté them for a one or two minutes until they turn golden. Make sure that you are not overcooking the peppers. Set aside and leave in the pan.
In a bowl
- Mix the corn starch and all-purpose flour with a pinch of salt and water to make a thick batter.
- The batter should be thick enough to coat the cauliflower florets evenly.
In a second pan
- Dip each cauliflower floret into the batter and add them into hot oil for frying.
- Fry them in batches so as to not overcrowd the pan.
- Once the batter covering the florets turns crisp, drain them out of the oil and place them on paper towels.
- Once you are done frying all the florets, you have to keep them crisp until you are ready to toss them in the sauce.
- For the sauce, heat 1/2 tbsp oil in the pan you roasted the peppers in (the first pan). Add minced ginger and garlic.
- Sauté them for a minute until they turn golden. Add the orange zest in.
- Add the broth, orange juice, Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce), maple syrup and mix.
- Meanwhile, mix 2 tbsp of corn starch in water to make a thin paste.
- Once the broth-orange mixture begins to boil, lower the heat. Add the crushed black pepper and salt.
- Add the corn starch paste into the boiling mixture in a slow steady stream. Make sure you are constantly stirring the simmering mixture with your other hand while adding the corn flour paste.
- Once the mixture thickens, toss in the fried cauliflower and the sautéed bell peppers.
- Mix well and increase the heat up a notch. Heat for one or two minutes.
- Transfer it to a serving dish and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
Modified from http://yummilyyours.com/