- Coat cubed butternut squash in 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt. Bake at 435º F for about 40-45 minutes, until butternut squash turns soft and gets lightly caramelized.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Fry off garlic gently on a low-medium heat, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn. Add chili flakes and cook for another minute or two stirring frequently.
- Cook pasta for a minute shorter than you would normally.
- Mash half the squash with a potato masher. Put both mashed and whole butternut squash chunks into the pan with chili and garlic.
- Add drained pasta and washed spinach into the pan. Incorporate them well into the pumpkin. Taste and season with pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and additional salt and chili if needed.
- Serve immediately with chopped walnuts and lemon zest on top.
Inspired by http://www.lazycatkitchen.com/pumpkin-spinach-and-walnut-spaghetti/