Monday, January 1, 2018

Vanilla Extract (homemade)

Since it takes six months for this to be ready, I make multiple batches. Basically, I buy the vodka and use it up with this recipe.

Slice vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the caviar


You'll need:

Vanilla beans (I use Madagascar Bourbon)
Sharp knife
Amber glass bottles
Vodka (I use Absolute or Smirnoff)

Cheese cloth (not entirely necessary)

Directions:
- Slice 6 vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape out the 'caviar' with the back of a wide-tip knife.
- Cut the beans into 1/4" pieces. Place the 'caviar' and cut pieces in a amber glass bottle. 
- Add 2 cups of vodka to brown jar bottle and put the cap on the bottle
- Make your own label and mark when you made it and when it will be ready. It will be ready in 6 months. I know ... that's a long time.
- Store the bottle in a cool dark place
- Shake the bottle once a day for the first week
- Shake the bottle once a week for a couple weeks
- Shake the bottle when you think of it
- When the 6 months have passed, use the cheese cloth to strain the vanilla extract and then put it back into the amber bottle. I don't mind having bits of the caviar in the vanilla extract. Sometimes I don't even strain it. It's now ready to use.
Cautionary note: The alcohol will burn off when baking but it will be present if you use it for something you don't bake.


Vodka price varies based on the number of times it is distilled. It's cleaner and smoother. Top shelf is most expensive while the college budget is on the bottom. I go for something in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment